canberrabirds

Strathnairn

To: "canberra birds" <>
Subject: Strathnairn
From: "Rosie - Internode" <>
Date: Fri, 11 Nov 2011 16:40:59 +1100
At Strathnairn (off Stockdill Drive, Holt) from noon to 13.30 Friday 11th November:

Grey fantail nest in the iconic lemon tree... plenty of movement of  and calls from the birds in lawn area sometimes going into the tree. (I found the nest afterwards)..very pale so possibly mostly cobweb.)

Family of A. Wood duck with 7 ducklings (down from 8 prior to "the thunder storm" I was told)

Australasian grebe on dam near carpark. One was taking pond-weed 'stalks' to what appeared to be an embryonic platform near over-hanging branches. However as I left 2-3 horses had resumed their feeding on pond-weed in the dam so the fate of the platform might be precarious. Two Grebes were on the dam on 28th Oct. in spite of the horses feeding on the pond weed then.

W-T Gerygone calling from Eucalypts nearby for some 10-15 minutes.

Juvenile Night-heron disturbed as I moved towards the dam. It flew over to the other side. Brilliant camouflage. "It flew in last night" I was told.

Rosemary