canberrabirds

Woodswallows X 3

To: "'martin butterfield'" <>, "'Nicki Taws'" <>
Subject: Woodswallows X 3
From: "John Bissett" <>
Date: Tue, 8 Nov 2011 16:13:55 +1100

Hello Martin

What I suspect was the same flock soared overhead around here for a period of 10 minutes around 9.30 am this morning.  For part of the time they were slowly circling in a nearby thermal.  I was out in the paddocks with binoculars at the time and had a good view of the flock and of a few birds that dropped out of the sky to a height of 100 metres or so.   My count stopped when I got to 100 and there were still many not included.  The birds were almost certainly not Dusky WS and as best I could judge by their appearance and calls they were probably White-browed WS.  If so, I guess it is possible that there were a few Masked WS in the group.

Cheers

John