canberrabirds

Black Shouldered Kites

To: <>
Subject: Black Shouldered Kites
From: "John Bissett" <>
Date: Sat, 5 Nov 2011 20:37:36 +1100

Hello all

I have been expecting the number of BSK to sharply decline as the days have passed since their arrival here more than a month ago but they continue to “hawk” over our paddocks in small numbers every day and then congregate in larger numbers in the dead limbs of close and nearby eucalypts every evening.  Last evening (Friday 4/11) I counted 10 birds roosting in various trees over a 400 metre spread.  Tonight (7.25 pm) I counted an astonishing 20 birds over the same area with 14 perched together in a single tree.  I suspect that one or two others may have been flying over nearby paddocks at the time of the count.  Happily, it seems that we will have to wait awhile before our welcome visitors leave.

And as an aside, I counted eight Brown Falcons and a couple of kestrels hunting (mice?) over the Hoskinstown Plain on a short excursion today.  No distance at all from here and in similar habitat, but only one BSK present.  With no Brown Falcons on our place could it be that the two species have worked out an “accommodation” in terms of territory?  Only a passing thought, not a serious question at this point.

Cheers

John

PS  Should anyone be interested in viewing this rare gathering of BSK they will be more than welcome to visit.  Just 25 minutes from Civic and 15 minutes from Queanbeyan.  Email or phone for directions.

33 Widgiewa Road

Carwoola NSW 2620

Phone  02 6238 2059

Mobile 0412 620 973