canberrabirds

Painted Snipe

To: <>
Subject: Painted Snipe
From: "Leo Berzins" <>
Date: Fri, 28 Oct 2011 18:28:20 +1100
At about 1700h today (Friday 28 Oct) I observed a single Painted Snipe feeding on the western shore of Kellys Swamp behind the ‘perching log’ which is visible on the left as one scans the swamp from Cygnus hide. As it was quite distant and the light was awkward and I was scopeless at the time, I can’t be positive as to gender but I think it was a male.

While I was watching, a Purple Swamphen approached the Painted Snipe which faced the Swamphen, raised its wings and dipped forward, thus giving full view of its wings to the Swamphen which looked startled and quickly turned around and headed away. About ten minutes later, a White-faced Heron approached the Painted Snipe and the wing display was repeated with the same immediate result. I was quite impressed given the size difference in both encounters. A few minutes later, however, a Black-fronted Dotterel charged at the Painted Snipe which turned and fled with the Dotterel in pursuit. Once the Painted Snipe had reached the cover of the tussocks, the Dotterel ceased pursuit and the Painted Snipe settled down to a resting position among the tussocks.

Regards,
Leo.