canberrabirds

Those painted-snipe [SEC=UNOFFICIAL]

To: "Geoffrey Dabb" <>, <>
Subject: Those painted-snipe [SEC=UNOFFICIAL]
From: "Perkins, Harvey" <>
Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2011 14:41:56 +1100
Con, Geoff et al,

I've always thought the open wing patterning was reminiscent of a Sunbittern (not that I've ever seen one of them in life!). And my understanding there, based on David Attenborough DVDs, is that it is a bluff tactic used when threatened. I think HANZAB says something about this in respect of Painted Snipe?

I also wouldn't discount a possible connection to reproduction/sexual selection given the role reversal in this species.

Just thoughts.

Harvey