canberrabirds

Kelly's - Friday

To: <>
Subject: Kelly's - Friday
From: "Shaun Bagley" <>
Date: Sat, 15 Oct 2011 10:58:49 +1100

Relaxing after returning from  the Left Coast of America (where the most memorable birding moment was an unruffled Bald Eagle sitting on a pole within feet of traffic whizzing by on the I-520 bridge across Lake Washington in Seattle) I wandered around Kelly’s on Friday morning observing the fresh Painted Snipe notices without seeing their subjects. Did however spend an engaging 20 minutes watching a Glossy Ibis feeding in the waters closest to the car park.  Diligent quivering of its beak just below the surface of the water and the red carpet of water weed produced only one frog in that period. Pretty hard yakka for small return.

And following up on Jack Holland’s comment in the October Gang-Gang about lack of Yellow-faced and White-naped Honeyeaters moving though, I saw and heard several parties of both species over the two hours spent at Kelly’s and also similar numbers at the ANBG later.  There also seemed to be several Brown Goshawks and Collared Sparrowhawks on the move over Kelly’s along with a Black-shouldered Kite.

Shaun Bagley