canberrabirds

Australian Painted-snipe gender - and bobbing

To: Philip Veerman <>, Canberra Birds <>
Subject: Australian Painted-snipe gender - and bobbing
From: Harvey Perkins <>
Date: Wed, 28 Sep 2011 08:27:39 +1000
Philip,

I may be pre-empting a bit but Painted-snipe is the proposed spelling for IOC v2.10 (not yet released). You can find this at  http://www.worldbirdnames.org/updates-en.html

"Painted Snipe,Rostratulidae; (2 genera, 3 species);  Painted-snipe;   Not "snipe" (Scolopacidae); hyphen better than one word"

As you know from what you wrote, the Australian species has been split from benghalensis, hence the Australian epithet, and painted-snipe are not snipe, hence the hyphenated name. I don't think nomenclatural priority comes in to common names does it?

Harvey