canberrabirds

WW to Narrabundah Hill

To: COG List <>
Subject: WW to Narrabundah Hill
From: martin butterfield <>
Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2011 16:10:23 +1000
This mornings mid month walk to Narrabundah Hill (formerly known as Duffy Pines) saw 13 members and guests gather in excellent weather to record 43 species of birds (a full list will be appended to the Trips page on the COG website).  Of these species, 7 were recorded as undertaking some form of breeding activity: Magpie and Australian Raven on nest (different ones of course); Common Starling, Crimson Rosella, Striated Pardalote were all inspecting hollows; a Galah was carrying nesting material; and a Pied Currawong was carrying food.

The "best" birds were, IMHO, Southern Whiteface.  They are not very common and we saw them in three different locations, suggesting three flocks (although we only saw 1 or 2 birds in each location). 4 Brown quail were flushed from rank grass amongst regenerating pines and 4 Diamond Firetails in some scappy hawthorns (a favourite location for this species.

One large, and old, Eucalypt  had plenty of hollows which were definitely being inspected by Common Starling and Striated Pardalote with Tree Martin, Eastern Rosella and Nankeen Kestrel also lurking in the vicinity.

Thank you to Jean for leading us to her local patch.  We should all be so lucky!

Martin Butterfield

gang-gang editors may wish to incorporate this as the trip report.