canberrabirds

Breeding birds at the coast

To: canberrabirds <>
Subject: Breeding birds at the coast
From: Anthony Overs <>
Date: Fri, 9 Sep 2011 11:52:16 +1000
Hi all

Some of you may remember a presentation that Michael Guppy and I gave to COG at the April meeting regarding our study of breeding birds in forest near Moruya.

I'm just back from a few days down at the coast, giving my colleagues a hand with nest searching and colour banding of birds.

This Spring's breeding efforts are well underway on the ten hectare site. Michael and Sarah are currently monitoring 11 Brown Thornbill nests. There is an Eastern Yellow Robin nest with newly hatched young. There are also a couple of active White-naped Honeyeater nests with parents feeding young. Striated Thornbills also have active nests. Yellow-faced Honeyeaters have a couple of nests complete but no eggs laid yet. Eastern Spinebills are starting to build, while Superb Fairy-wrens are still thinking about it!

I also managed to track an Eastern Whipbird collecting nesting material and taking it to a spot to build a nest. We were all a bit excited about this because their nests are very hard to find. Michael and Sarah have not found one in the previous five seasons, and Stephen Marchant only found three in ten years in his original study.

Oh, and plenty of ticks around in the undergrowth too!

Cheers
Anthony