canberrabirds

sick or dead barn owls

To: "'Elizabeth Compston'" <>, "'Canberra Birds'" <>
Subject: sick or dead barn owls
From: "Mark Clayton" <>
Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2011 21:14:24 +1000
Hi Elizabeth,

The dead Barn Owl that my son found near the School of Music some months ago
and I took to the ANWC had a hole in its head that appeared to have been
inflicted by a bird of prey or something like a magpie or currawong. I
suspect there are too many mice around for all to be poisoned and a lot of
the owls are dispersing from areas where the mouse plague has crashed,
forcing them to move in search of food. Certainly there are probably some
that are falling victim to poisoned mice but I reckon the vast majority are
just starving.

Mark