canberrabirds

Bower birds again - and Gang gangs too

To: "COG" <>
Subject: Bower birds again - and Gang gangs too
From: "Charmian Lawson" <>
Date: Sun, 28 Aug 2011 17:15:21 +1000
Hi

Perhaps this may be of interest.

We have a bower in our back yard in Holder. It is the third we have been aware of since 2003. We have had bowers built and almost immediately destroyed over the years, but this one has lasted for months. This is even more suprising as last weekend Tony had to cut away a large amount of vegetation from under the power lines, leaving  the bower quite exposed.

This does not however appear to have deterred the number of green birds (maybe four or five) (following recent postings about the sexes of these birds I hestitate to say that they are male or female) which are still very active in and around the bower. We do have visits from a male bower bird, but it is the green birds which are constant.

There must be another bower close by, probably across the road, because blue items are stolen from the bower in our yard, and I have seen one of the green birds high in our Chinese elm, with a blue bottle top in its beak.

However, the thing that really amazed me a couple of days ago was to see a male bower bird fly across the road - not over the road, but straight through the underpass - and at speed!

On Ganggangs, we are lucky enough to have visits from them through most of the year but a few weeks ago, we had 27 in the Chinese elm. It was a truly spectacular sight.

Charmian Lawson