canberrabirds

every nature reserve has its day

To: "Barbara Allan" <>, "'canberrabirds'" <>
Subject: every nature reserve has its day
From: "Rod's Gardening" <>
Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2011 00:47:59 +1000
Barbara's report prompts me to record my recent raptor experiences with the same species she encountered.  Recently while taking my morning exercise on Oakey Hill I saw a Currawong pursuing a Peregrine Falcon.  As I watched the Falcon slowed down, gained altitude, and in the blink of an eye the pursuer became the pursued!  Subsequent pursuit lasted only a few seconds as the currawong landed on a dead tree and the Peregrine, having made its point, lost interest and continued across Heyson St in the direction of the Parkway.  On the other side of the hill I saw a perched raptor (probably a Brown Goshawk based on size but possibly a Sparrowhawk) which suddenly became agitated and took off in pursuit of a wattlebird.  Again, only a short pursuit as the Wattlebird landed and the raptor disappeared from view.  Next sighting was a Nankeen Kestrel perched peacefully on the communications tower. Finally, while working later in the day, a Wedgie cruising lazily high over central Rivett gave me the quadrella.

Cheers

Rod