canberrabirds

re Willow clearing

To: <>
Subject: re Willow clearing
From: "Geoffrey Dabb" <>
Date: Sun, 21 Aug 2011 10:35:01 +1000

I wonder what their plan is for maintaining a willow-free environment.   Moreover pieces of willow drifting down the Molonglo might further spread the unwanted species.

I have a little book by Alexander McTaggart which purports to tell the story of how the weeping willow, ‘which adorns the banks … of the Molonglo river at Canberra, ACT, came to those districts of Australia’.  Twigs were brought from Napoleon’s grave at St Helena.  I appreciate that the weeping is not the main pest species but the genus seems to be good at gaining a foothold.