canberrabirds

Help with call ID

To: <>
Subject: Help with call ID
From: "Rod's Gardening" <>
Date: Fri, 5 Aug 2011 10:29:13 +1000
Yesterday I went for a walk in the Kelly's Swamp/Jerra wetlands area.  Now my skills in bird call ID are limited and my abilities at describing an unknown call are practically zilch.  But in the eucalypts between the last two hides over the new bridge I heard a call I've not heard before - so I'll have a go at describing it in the hope someone will be able to fit the name of the bird to it:  a descending 6 note (approx) call, similar to a Fantailed Cuckoo (definitely not that), but sharper, repeated often but not continuously like the FTC.  After each single 6 note call a reply came from another bird (or birds - there were certainly 2 and maybe 3 or 4) a short distance away.  The calls seemed to be coming from a small bird (maybe a bit larger than a Silvereye) constantly flitting in & out of some fairly dense tree top foliage, but as didn't have my good binos I couldn't make out a single distinguishing feature.

Sorry it's a bit cryptic and a bit of a long shot - but someone may have some thoughts that could help with an ID.

Thanks & cheers

Rod

Rod Mackay
Tel.  0407 456 330

PS.  I hadn't seen the willow clearing in this area before but the favourite roosting trees for the Nankeen Night Herons are amongst the removals.