canberrabirds

Mid week walk to Newline Paddocks

To: COG List <>
Subject: Mid week walk to Newline Paddocks
From: martin butterfield <>
Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2011 18:42:05 +1000

12 members braved a rather appalling weather forecast to meet at Newline this morning.  In fact, the weather was not too bad and the birds rather good.

We started off in the N14 element of the first paddock recording 21 species.  The initial highlight was a group – probably 2 clans cooperating – of 21 White-winged Choughs.   Just as we moved into the M14 element of that paddock 3 Brown Treecreepers appeared about 5m off the ground in a dead tree.  2 of the birds were then kind enough to fly back in to N14.

Thanks to good advice from Sue Lashko (who monitors this area for the Woodlands Survey) we moved a little down the road and into another paddock.  Highlights here were a large flock (>60 birds) of  Welcome Swallows, and another of 35+ Yellow-rumped Thornbills and at least 6 Double-barred Finches.

Getting back to the road 2 Rainbow Lorikeets were seen were predicted.  We then encountered an astonishing flock of at least one hundred (yes, 100) Eastern Rosellas.  As well as perching in the eucalypts they were also feeding on the thistles.

Overall 34 species were recorded.  A full listing will be submitted to the trips page of the COG website as usual.

The editors of Gang-gang may like to incorporate the above as a trip report.

The venue for next month's walk is yet to be finalised but this should occur soonish.

Martin