canberrabirds

Question about Tawny Frogmouths

To: "'martin butterfield'" <>
Subject: Question about Tawny Frogmouths
From: "Philip Veerman" <>
Date: Tue, 12 Jul 2011 15:16:41 +1000
Thanks for your comments Martin, although I will say I am a bit confused at what we are discussing. I wonder if (and at this stage assume that) you typed the word "night" by accident and actually meant day. My comments were in response to Trish's question about the birds' roost site fidelity. Which naturally I took to be the daytime roost (as confirmed by the photo). I am not sure but thought from the tone of her enquiry that Trish may think there is something wrong with the birds and may not have been aware that they are nocturnal. What I meant is that they move every night, as being nocturnal hunters they need to fly around then. It is day when they are not active and would be roosting. I don't have Gisela Kaplan's book on the species or indeed any of her books. Unfortunately uncomplimentary reviews and a perception from having heard her of overstating several things have put me off and I have enough books for the next 3 lifetimes anyway. I would not know if or why her book would say they rarely use the same roost for more than 4 nights in a row. If this refers to perches to hunt from, then that would take a huge amount of night time research to work out. As surely they don't use a night roost at all. If it means they rarely use the same roost for more than 4 days in a row I would understand that, although it would surprise me a bit. I thought they are more site faithful than that but then I have never had an opportunity to keep track of any individual. Trish's mention that They haven’t moved now for over two months – same tree, same branch as telling us they have moved but returned to the same site each morning, is more towards what I would have guessed is more typical.

Philip

-----Original Message-----From: martin butterfield [ Sent: Tuesday, 12 July 2011 10:29 AM
To: Philip Veerman     Cc: Trish Fletcher;
Subject: Re: [canberrabirds] Question about Tawny Frogmouths

The roost-fidelity of frogmouths is an interesting question.  In Gisela Kaplan's book on the species she comments that they rarely use the same roost for more than 4 nights in a row.  With the pair that I follow in Carwoola they have sometimes used the same roost tree for 6 or 7 nights before moving off to another.  Over the 4 years I have been following them they have used 15 different trees as daytime roosts: Some roosts have only been used once or twice but at least 6 have been used regularly.  Usually the pair snuggle together but occasionally (as today) they might use different trees, up to 100m apart.

They do tend to be faithful to a nest tree.  'My' pair have used exactly the same site for 3 years in a row and should start work on refurbishing the nest in the next 3 or 4 weeks.  When the nest is active the male will spend all day on it with the female in the general area.  I'd suggest Trish's friend might be able to locate the nest in September when they are likely to be brooding.

Martin