canberrabirds

grey fantails

To: "Philip Veerman" <>, <>
Subject: grey fantails
From: "victoria" <>
Date: Sun, 10 Jul 2011 16:30:22 +1000
Philip,

Thanks for the prompt and comprehensive reply. I have just joined this group. I did not think it so common as it was not in the "Birds of the ACT" Book, but expect they can't list every bird.

The work in my native garden is paying off with more visits from small and different birds (other than the usual parrots, crested doves etc). I also saw a spotted pardalote in my yellow gum canopy yesterday.

This year I have had numerous visits (and now they seem to have settled in), from a group of pied currawongs. I believe that this may not be a good thing as they are aggressive birds and may scare off other birds and even feed on baby birds? There are certainly more in the local neighbourhood this year. On the edge of Tuggeranong Hill, I even saw four of them chasing off a wedgetail eagle. When the eagle roosted, one currawong still persisted to harass it from a nearby branch. Are they bad news?

Victoria

Hello Victoria,

wondering if anyone else has had a visit Yes most sites do (as shown from the F = 82.61% below)
and whether this is a normal Canberra visitor. Yes very much so

And yes to that they are an appealing species. Also consistent with your comment, this is the time of year for peak numbers of Eastern Spinebills in Canberra gardens.

For what it is worth (although more than you asked for), here is the text extracts on these two species from The GBS Report. (Don't worry about the numbers at this stage.)

Grey Fantail Rhipidura fuliginosa

This species is a common inhabitant of woodland and forest. It is conspicuous in its behaviour and voice and will readily approach and flutter around people. Sometimes they even appear to follow people. The occurrence pattern shows an interesting similarity to the Willie Wagtail but is more marked. From a low in November and December rises smoothly to a peak in March, then declines through winter with a minor second peak in September and October. This shows the two periods of partial migration through Canberra and the low numbers whilst breeding. Long-term there has been a fairly even increase in abundance. This has occurred in both the highs and lows of the monthly pattern. Breeding records are some nest building from October, though mostly of dependent young from January to early March. Most breeding records are one-off observations, one had nest with eggs to dependent young over four weeks (Year 21 at Site 230).
Graphs on page: 102, Rank: 20, Breeding Rank: 30, A = 0.35350, F = 82.61%, W = 51.9, R = 22.954%, G = 1.54.

Eastern Spinebill Acanthorhynchus tenuirostris

This approachable, very vocal and active little bird is easily detected as it feeds in the shrub layer. It is adapted to nectar feeding from tube flowers and has been very successful in adapting to suburbs. It shows the typical altitudinal migrant?s pattern, although less extreme than in other small honeyeaters. The monthly pattern over the years combined is very smooth. It has a broad trough of low numbers from October to February with minimum in December, then climbs to a June peak then declines again. There has been a clear though not quite smooth increase in abundance, having approximately doubled. The winter peaks have increased slightly but more obvious is that the numbers in summer have increased more, with more individuals staying through the summer than occurred earlier. Breeding records fit neatly into two groups, from late August to late September the only breeding information is activities at nest, nest building and copulation. Dependent young have been noted from late October to as late as early May. There are no complete nesting events described.
Graphs on page: 100, Rank: 18, Breeding Rank: 29, A = 0.56115, F = 88.47%, W = 51.5, R = 33.747%, G = 1.66.