canberrabirds

Butterfly inquiry & flocking thornbills

To: "Canberra Birds" <>
Subject: Butterfly inquiry & flocking thornbills
From: "John Layton" <>
Date: Mon, 4 Jul 2011 16:30:05 +1000

Thanks for the responses re Monarch Butterflies. Got a wealth of local information. The more I learn about this insect the more fascinating I find it.

Yellow-rumped Thornbills have never been common in our garden, couple of sightings a year of very small groups. But last week was amazed to see a flock about 30 pecking away on a short-mown weedy area in the backyard. Again this morning there were about twenty. I walked towards them, stood still and some came to within 60 cm of my feet. They were back again this afternoon.

John Layton

Holt.