canberrabirds

The Morass, Bungendore and Mt Rogers

To: "Canberra birds" <>
Subject: The Morass, Bungendore and Mt Rogers
From: "wallaces" <>
Date: Sun, 3 Jul 2011 18:55:43 +1000
I spent a short time at The Morass (Lake Bathurst) yesterday, unfortunately without my telescope. Still it was interesting.  Australian Shelducks (14) on a dam near the road, 15-20 Black-winged Stilts (some immature) feeding in the area closest to the road, large numbers of ducks resting on the shore (3 mobs each about 100+ birds but unable to determine the species due to the distance) and a Peregrine Falcon which landed in a paddock close to the road but I could not determine why it had landed there.  Some Black swan nests were visible.

At Bungendore sewerage works, a pair of Australian Shelduck and plenty of Grey Teal.  The teal were showing the different colours that can occur on the head, neck and chest when the plumage is stained (green and rusty orange) (see attached picture of some of the different colours).

Last Tuesday on Mt Rogers, a male Rufous Whistler.

Steve