canberrabirds

Kama NR and Chiltern

Subject: Kama NR and Chiltern
From: Stephanie Haygarth <>
Date: Sat, 2 Jul 2011 18:42:53 +1000
Me too. We went yesterday afternoon and will definitely put it on our regular visiting list. Didn't see the brown treecreepers but did see white-throated.

Best things were several large MFFs of thornbills (saw yellow-rumped, buff-rumped and brown but suspect there were others), whitefaces, grey fantails, willy wagtails and striated pardalotes, with scarlet robins (M and F) nearby. One buff-rumped TB carrying nesting material. A magpie kept following one MFF and swooping through it repeatedly, putting them all up out of the kangaroo grass into trees every time.

Kestrels cruised over calling repeatedly and we heard a pallid cuckoo a good way off. Also saw white-naped, white-eared, white-plumed and fuscous HEs and M and F golden whistlers, and surprised a large fox by the eastern dam where there were several wood duck. Starlings passing through to the east late in the day looked nervous, flying short distances from tree to tree and doing a lot of looking around before moving on to the next.

North of Chiltern (Vic) on Tues, in yellow-flowering ironbark just off the Rutherglen road, we watched a delightfully loud and active feeding frenzy of yellow-tufted HEs, accompanied by lots of fuscous and a few white-napeds, little lorikeets and friar and wattlebirds, with brown treecreepers down below. I'd never seen more than one yellow-tufted at a time before and this time there must have been dozens of both them and the fuscous in the small patch where we stood. At Chiltern cemetery saw a peregrine whose approach could be tracked for miles by the noisy miner and wattlebirds alarms.
Stephanie