canberrabirds

Eastern yellow robin

To: "Margaret Leggoe" <>, <>
Subject: Eastern yellow robin
From: Robin Eckermann <>
Date: Fri, 24 Jun 2011 20:25:00 +1000
At 05:26 PM 24/06/2011, Margaret Leggoe wrote:
OK, there is nothing new to about an eastern yellow robin in the botanic gardens.  However, having finally got a shot, I am using this as an excuse to say how remarkably well these birds respond to phishing.  Recently bought myself an MP3 player with small speakers, and a pair of these popped up immediately I played it, and on several more occasions after.  The Eastern spinebill also zooms in as soon as you play its call, but doesn?t sit very still like the robins do.

Hi Margaret!

Be aware that some people frown on the use of recorded bird sounds, though I will occasionally use them too. I've got a little "Audubon" bird whistler ... a curious little construction comprising a little piece of wood affixed to a metal base. When you turn the wood, you can generate assorted birdlike sounds, and I've found that this sometimes helps to steer a nearby MFF in my direction.

Congratulations on a great picture of the EYR - on my observation of this species, the image could be darkened up just a tad, but maybe I've the ones I've seen are naturally darker. Either way - light or dark - this is a spectacular little bird!

Emacs!

Enjoy the weekend! I expect we'll start with fog, but then it should open up to a nice day!

Regards ... Robin