canberrabirds

Swans at West Belconnen Pond

To: "Canberra birds" <>
Subject: Swans at West Belconnen Pond
From: "wallaces" <>
Date: Sun, 19 Jun 2011 18:13:38 +1000
While at West Belconnen Pond today taking a weekly video of the swan chicks (now 5 weeks old) I noticed something on the high voltage powerlines to the west of the pond.  It turned out to be a dead swan which seemed be hanging by one wing from the line.  Because of the separation of the lines, electrocution would not be possible.  While I realise that collisions with powerlines are a risk and that swans do fly at night, I did not realise that a single powerline could be such a significant hazard.

As the chicks I am photographing were only accompanied by one parent today, I am interested to know if the second parent is still around as this may impact on the development of the chicks.  So far all 6 chicks have survived with the very dilligent attention of 2 parents.  I have observed one parent taking a break from the chicks sometimes, so the other adult may have been one of the other swans on the pond but generally the parent having a break has stayed close by. Today the closest other swan was on the other side of the pond.

If anyone is in the area and observes two adults with the chicks could they please let me know.

Thanks
Steve