canberrabirds

indian miner or mynah

To: <>
Subject: indian miner or mynah
From: "Philip Veerman" <>
Date: Sat, 18 Jun 2011 23:22:41 +1000
Hi Jude,

For what it is worth, it is not just a matter of spelling. The Miners are a quite different group. They are native honeyeaters. And yes the native Noisy Miner is also a problem in its habit to eliminate other birds and it is typically much more aggressive towards other birds than is the Common Myna. The Mynas are a group related to the Starlings. There is no such thing as indian miner. This control program has nothing to do with Miners. The bird you are thinking about is the Common Myna. Usually with no "h" (some old books write Mynah). The CIMAG has chosen to use the alternate name of Indian Myna rather than Common Myna, to give prominence to that it is an introduced Asian bird.