canberrabirds

HANZAB ought be available on the Internet.

To: "'Denis Wilson'" <>
Subject: HANZAB ought be available on the Internet.
From: "Philip Veerman" <>
Date: Thu, 16 Jun 2011 23:14:46 +1000
Sure it is perfectly fair to raise a suggestion. Denis asked Does COG have any involvement in Birds Australia, these days? Can we attempt to influence them to see the merits of regarding HANZAB as part of the Commons? I think it would be hypocrisy of COG to agitate on this, unless COG were to also put those publications - that it sells - on free use on the internet also.

I think any commercial or fair and reasonable individual reward for effort of the authors of the works of Shakespeare, Dickens, and The Bible (and presumably other vast numbers of other fine texts) has long since past its use by date, with no existing author available to receive royalties. Even so I see price tags on these books in the shops. So this consideration is different to a current publication. A relevant question is whether the financial investment in HANZAB has been recouped or ran at a loss. Although even if it has been recouped, it would still be inequitable to now make it freely available at the expense of those who have paid. Making things available on the internet on computer does not make it universally available. Computers and internet is expensive and are a barrier to many people. I know someone who bought the set of HANZAB on a impulse buy, as an investment, who probably rarely opens it and does not have a computer.

But I am confused about one thing. Denis told us that Birds Australia refuses to put HANZAB on the Internet. However Denis also says: Board of Birds Australia. ..... to suggest to them that they ought live up to the various promises which they have given, to at least provide a subscription service to HANZAB. I don't follow the connection between "various promises" (when & where) and "refuses". If indeed there is a conflict, the question is a fair one. I think it would be a huge admin load to implement providing a subscription service to HANZAB.

Yes there is a difference between referring to a reference text and plagiarising it. So my point on that is an aside and probably a minor one. Just that having it available on-line makes it so much easier to extract whole sections and thus plagiarise.

I accidentally typed the word "you" instead of "who", once in my last message: "those you have paid" should have been "those who have paid".