canberrabirds

Re: An unusual day - bird food

To: "Geoffrey Dabb" <>
Subject: Re: An unusual day - bird food
From: "Jack & Andrea Holland" <>
Date: Wed, 15 Jun 2011 22:15:58 +1000
Geoffrey, very interesting.

While I have occasionally had red-broweds in the MFFs in my GBS site this autumn they have really been at the fringes, and certainly haven’t appeared to be eating the lerps which seem to be the main food for the pardalotes, silvereyes and weebills which have formed the nucleus of the MFF.  I’ve also checked HANZAB and can’t find lerps mentioned there as red-browed food, though like you I find the closely written text very turgid reading, and may be overlooking the word.

Away from my GBS on Cooleman Ridge and Narrabundah Hill the finch/firetail MFFs (red-broweds and double-barred and/or diamond firetail are often the most numerous species) are certainly very different in composition and habits than those in my GBS site in that the activity is largely on the ground compared with the foliage/shubbery.  I had imagined they were largely eating seed, but certainly there are almost always some insectivores amongst them, notably the superb fairy-wren.

Jack Holland