canberrabirds

An unusual day

To: "'Denis Wilson'" <>
Subject: An unusual day
From: "Philip Veerman" <>
Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2011 23:33:47 +1000
Hi Denis,

I think pretty much all the finches eat insects, especially when breeding and feeding young. The Mannikins not so much, the Crimson and Star Finches a lot. The Red-brows (which are close to the Crimson and Star Finches) do too. Immelmann's book says of them "The insects are usually taken from foliage instead of caught on the wing as with the arid country species of grass finches." I had not thought of that at all in my comment that Red-browed Finches especially like joining in with Superb Fairy-wrens. I don't know how relevant that is.