canberrabirds

Drooping Sheaoakes for Glossies

To: "Chris Davey" <>, "canberrabirds chatline" <>
Subject: Drooping Sheaoakes for Glossies
From: "kamprad" <>
Date: Thu, 9 Jun 2011 17:02:19 +1000

To add to the discussion of Drooping Sheoake planting in the Arboretum I would like to add this little story.
In response to a couple of sightings of Glossy Black Cockatoo in our area some years ago, the discovery of a remnant stand of Drooping Sheoakes and a few patches of ground that had trouble growing anything I started planting first seed then seedling Drooping Sheoakes.
I now have approx 60 that are protected by old fencing wire and have a means of watering for the first couple of years. It took me quite a lot of effort and good advice from local farmers.
Who knows some of the trees might survive and eventually attract Glossies
The plantings ( encouraged by COG members )and the raising of public awareness of the GBC by the ACT government are most encouraging

There really are plants growing in the 1 year old group planting. Its just hard to see them in the photo.

Cheers Julienne