canberrabirds

More swamp representations

To: Peter Ormay <>
Subject: More swamp representations
From: martin butterfield <>
Date: Tue, 10 May 2011 16:12:43 +1000
It would be really good to know who the Reserve Manager is!

I also visited the Swamp and most of the rest of wetlands and poo pits around lunchtime.  It seemed a likely Osprey haunt, but alas no.  The number of WF Herons is getting almost interesting: I could only fit 9 of the 10 visible from Cygnus hide in one image  (see attached).  It was notable that when they stepped back into the tall grass they vanished so numbers fluctuated between 0 and 10 several times over 10 minutes.

Another sight of interest was a Coot standing about halfway between the Spoonbill tree and the Pelican log.  The scunge barely covered its feet so my guess is the water level is extremely low (or the silt level is very high).