canberrabirds

Honeyeater movement

To: <>
Subject: Honeyeater movement
From: "Jack & Andrea Holland" <>
Date: Sun, 8 May 2011 21:07:01 +1000
Honeyeaters have been moving through my GBS site in Chapman this week.   On Wednesday and particularly on Thursday I heard my first Crescent Honeyeater for this autumn, but it didn’t seem to be around for the weekend, when on Friday and yesterday a Fuscous was calling quite loudly in the mixed feeding flock (MMF), which also included a couple of White-naped.  Neither were around today, when the highlight was a group of at least eight Brown-headed, rare visitors to my garden since the fires.  Even though I was working quite close by, four of them couldn’t resist the water bath (this species loves water).

In amongst the MFF were at least 3 Eastern Spinebills, including one still in immature plumage, and up to 3 White-eared have also been quite conspicuous, as have Red Wattlebirds with up to 7 calling to and chasing each other.  In total 8 honeyeater species, the most for some time.

With the good growth as a result of the rains over the past 9 months the smaller birds seem to have returned, and though the number of birds in the MFF is diminishing, it is still a daily highlight.  Unfortunately the male Scarlet Robin and the Grey Fantails present over Easter seem to have moved on.

Jack Holland