canberrabirds

FT Swift or WT Needletail?? - Hobby

Subject: FT Swift or WT Needletail?? - Hobby
Date: Wed, 4 May 2011 14:04:28 +1000
Hello Benj,

I was checking mail on the server during lunch time. I am taking the option to
reply from my desk computer at the ANBG.

With the following advice:

To have 3 members of either swift species together in Canberra in early May
would be truly astonishing. Individual late ones are a rarity but 3?

You tell us they were "Nowhere near big enough for hobby or peregrine." However
the difference in size between a White-throated Needletail and an Australian
Hobby is small, only a few cm and they were clearly not close to you. So at
that distance and against the sky, it would be difficult for anyone to make
that judgement of size.

Last week I watched three Australian Hobbies flying in identical behaviour to
what you described. They were going over the main entrance lawn in front of the
Hudson's cafe at ANBG, (I was just out of the office maybe lunchtime, I don't
recall in front of the cafe), they were flying very high doing loops around
each other, towards the top of Black Mountain and calling a lot. I watched them
for a minute or two and have no doubt of my ID. I detected and identified them
from the call first and then watched till then they disappeared towards Black
Mountain. I suspect they are an adult pair with one young (a little bit late in
the year for that but as it is a good wet year, that is not so odd).

Quite apart from what I saw, what you describe in appearance and calls fits
Australian Hobby perfectly, with nothing contrary to that id, except your idea
of size, which is at best problematic.  The bit about "tail fanned widely into
a broad slight V and dark chested with white diluted washy indistinct
striations, no white seen on belly or rump" does not fit either swift.

The chasing behaviour of swifts that you describe occurs at their breeding
grounds and occassionally here when large flocks indulge in what appears to be
pre courting displays. I have only ever seen that once and wrote it up in CBN
about 25 years ago. It has only rarely been described in Australia and gets a
few mentions in HANZAB (can't recall if mine was one of them).

Philip Veerman
Office Manager
Australian Network for Plant Conservation Inc