canberrabirds

Little ravens

To: <>
Subject: Little ravens
From: "David Rosalky" <>
Date: Wed, 4 May 2011 12:07:36 +1000

During this morning’s bird peruse for my GBS count, a flock of 18 ravens passed fairly high overhead.  I could hear some calling and the calls were all short “croaks”.  The birds were flying west over Deakin and after a while turned south in the general direction of Woden.

The size of the flock and the calls lead me to believe that they were Little Ravens rather than Australian Ravens.  On the other hand, Philip Veerman’s book suggests sighting LRs over suburbs is not very likely and that May is a month of relatively low abundance.  He also makes the point that it is easy to mis-identify.  The ACT Atlas has very low counts of LRs in central Canberra.

So I am wondering if anyone else in southern Canberra thinks they recorded a flock of LRs around 8am this morning.

David Rosalky