canberrabirds

The MFF

To: <>
Subject: The MFF
From: "Geoffrey Dabb" <>
Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2011 15:42:28 +1000

Newcomers to this chatline will soon learn more about MFFs (mixed feeding flocks), as it looks like being a good year for these Winter happenings.  Following Elizabeth’s suggestion I went to Kelly Road this am, and at first found few birds.  However, in the course of the morning twitterings of MFFs came by, generally following the tree lines.  It is so difficult to read what is going on with these, as distinct from just listing a whole lot of species.  There was one distinct community that I saw as more or less resident in or in the vicinity of the area, at least seasonally, containing some altitudinal migrants (Scarlet Robins, Wt Treecreeper, some honeyeaters (mainly Fuscous, a couple of White-eared)) plus some presumed true residents (W-plumed Honeyeater, SFW, Speckled Warbler, Brown Treecreeper, Jacky Winter,  -  but query the GST and the sittellas).  Then there was one huge MMFF (moving mixed feeding flock) that came through with a hundred plus birds.  This was a real linear formation with the advance guard moving on while others were still coming in at the other end.  About half the individuals were silvereyes, with large numbers of Buff-rump Thblls, Weebills, some pardalotes  -  so many that they would have to be transients.  There were only a couple of YFHEs that I saw.  That is the kind of flock that has the trees alive with birds one minute, and when gone makes you wonder what on earth happened to it.  By contrast representatives of the RMFF (resident mixed feeding flock) continued to more or less potter around during the morning, going about their business in loose association.

Below is an example of the Fuscous (note non-breeder’s yellow eye-ring and bill) and what I take to be a fair example of Z l lateralis going by the 3 indicators of flank colour/demarcation/throat colour.