canberrabirds

RE: Z l Lateralis v. Z l westernensis

To: "'Lindsay Hansch'" <>, "'Geoffrey Dabb'" <>, "'COG-L'" <>
Subject: RE: Z l Lateralis v. Z l westernensis
From: "David Rosalky" <>
Date: Sun, 24 Apr 2011 10:36:57 +1000

My two-bob’s worth:

When I was in NZ in February, I was sure that I was observing a distinct sub-species of Silvereyes because the cinnamon flanks were very prominent and the vent area quite yellow.  This was a general observation and not just incidental, so perhaps less variation than is apparent in Australia.

I was surprised to learn that they are Z. l lateralis.  Clearly they are evolving distinctive plumage colours.  I wonder if it is genetic isolation or clinal variation that produces these changes.

David Rosalky