canberrabirds

Late breeding

To: "'Geoffrey Dabb'" <>, <>, "'martin butterfield'" <>, "'Michael and Janette Lenz'" <>
Subject: Late breeding
From: "Philip Veerman" <>
Date: Sun, 10 Apr 2011 18:55:30 +1000
Martin's graph is good and predictably similar to the breeding graphs in The 21 Year GBS Report (page 106). Gives broadly the same impressions for the 2 species Martin has included (and is by comparison a cinch to produce). Martin's graph gives more time detail by expressing by week, rather than month, but less information overall as it only contains the DY stage (but that is OK when that is the question, as here). However Martin's graph is labelled as count of observations (so I accept that is what it actually is). So the clear drop in week 52 (for both species) is surely due to observers going away for christmas holidays, hence fewer observations. There are other week biases, but week 52 is the most obvious. This week (14) will some years include easter and that too will reduce the normal count of observations. The data needs to be expressed relative to observer effort or it is deceptive. The graphs in the GBS Report of course do take this into account to remove this bias. To see the influence of the change in observer weeks, see Figure 6 of The GBS Report (that clearly shows the impact of christmas and easter).  Martin's graph clearly shows Michael's observation to be towards the end of the usual time range. That of itself does not mean that the whole trend is different this year.

Figure 22 of The GBS Report examined the question about differences between years in extent of breeding. The best that I could get from that data was a strong suggestion that year 2 (a drought year) was low.

Both Martin's graph and the GBS Report breeding graphs are clearly the results for all years of the GBS combined. Neither purports to display this or any year as different or the same as another year or an average of other years. I doubt very much that the size of the GBS data set on any one year (like this year) is sufficiently big to allow any statistical significance to breeding being later this year than usual. It would be nice to be wrong on this. Having said that, it is my impression also that it is.

Philip

-----Original Message-----From: Geoffrey Dabb [ Sent: Sunday, 10 April 2011 12:56 PM     To: