canberrabirds

Mulligan's Flat today - Brown Treecreepers

To: canberra birds <>
Subject: Mulligan's Flat today - Brown Treecreepers
From: Duncan McCaskill <>
Date: Sun, 3 Apr 2011 23:00:04 +1000
I spent an hour or so around the middle of the day at the north eastern of Mulligan's Flat, near "Curlew" gate (-35.162550°, 149.184200°), well away from the controlled burn that was being conducted to the south.

The highlight was three Brown Treecreepers (all banded).  Also a Scarlet Robin, (are they getting scarcer or is my imagination?), plus White-throated Treecreeper, 3 Rufous Whistlers, a Golden Whistler (imm. male), Yellow-rumped, Buff-rumped & Brown Thornbills, a White-throated Gerygone, a handful of Spotted Pardalotes, and a small group of what I suspect were Double-barred Finches, but I didn't see or hear them clearly enough to be sure. I haven't seen Double-barred Finches in the Flat before. Several small flocks of Yellow-faced Honeyeaters flew over heading north east.

On the way there I saw a pair of Wedge-Tailed Eagles flying over the neighbouring  farmland, one being harrassed by a Raven, the other by a Brown Goshawk (not 100% sure it wasn't a sparrowhawk).

Duncan.