canberrabirds

Darter/cormorant breeding

To: "Jack & Andrea Holland" <>, <>
Subject: Darter/cormorant breeding
From: "Michael and Janette Lenz" <>
Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2011 20:48:29 +1100

Jack,

Some information from the cormorants nesting at Yowani may be of interest to you for comparison to what has happened along Lake Burley Griffin (LBG).

Little Pied Cormorants (LPC) started to nest in August 2010, Little Black Cormorants (LBC) in September 2010. Highest nest numbers were reached in October for LPC and in December for LBC. As of today both species still occupy a few nests.

One other issue that may amongst others also have influenced numbers of cormorants breeding at  LBG this season, could be that many cormorants (as have other water birds) may have moved out of our area to make use of ideal breeding conditions along inland waters.

Michael Lenz

The annual COG boat trip yesterday up Molonglo Reach found only 3 Darter nests with very young chicks, and a further 3 where advanced chicks were either on or near the nest.  A Great Cormorant nest with 3 young was the only other nest seen.  This is the lowest I can remember.  On the other hand many juveniles were seen, confirming the intelligence I had received beforehand that in this cooler wetter year season nesting has been much earlier than it has been in the preceding hotter drier years.

Has anyone recently checked the situation on the eastern side of Black Mountain, including the peninsula.  I understand the breeding colony of mainly Little Black Cormorants near the mouth of Sullivan’s Creek has not eventuated this year, but that there is/has been some breeding closer to the peninsula, as indicated yesterday by the boat skipper, and by Martin Butterfield in a chat line posting of 7 February.

Jack Holland