canberrabirds

Tharwa sandwash this morning

To: <>
Subject: Tharwa sandwash this morning
From: "Margaret Leggoe" <>
Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2011 13:50:17 +1100

This morning TWS was alive with birds.  The highlight for me were the rainbow bee-eaters.  Since I ran over one and killed it about 30 years ago, I have not managed to get near one since.  Poetic justice, I suppose.

This morning I was exonerated in spades, with a family of fiver catching insects and perching right in front of me, and this went on for two hours.  My photos include adult male and female and 3 juvenile birds.

Also, I heard a hobby or similar bird across the river.  Numerous psittacines, yellow-faced HE, rufous whistler, yellow-rumped thornbill, brown thornbill, SF wrens, red-browed firetail, grey fantail, willie wagtail, wood duck, magpie lark, raven, welcome swallow, silvereye, and BF cuckoo-shrike.  All of that from the comfort of my hide, without having to battle the undergrowth.

Apropos the BF cuckoo-shike, their appearance caused a sudden disappearance of smaller birds, including the bee-eaters.  Only the WWT remained to harass the cuckoo-shrikes.

And, sorry to those who detest peoples’ favourite shots on this chatline, but here is mine from this morning.

Margaret Leggoe

rainbow-bee-eater110316_8947.jpg