canberrabirds

major mitchell cockatoos

To: "'Canberra Birds'" <>
Subject: major mitchell cockatoos
From: "Philip Veerman" <>
Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2011 00:04:06 +1100
Yes I saw the one Jack mentioned 2 or 3 times (it sometimes got to
Kambah). Once including inspecting a hollow at Mt Taylor with another
bird heard from inside the hollow. That liaison did not last long. The
species is kept in low numbers in captivity. There used to be many in an
aviary, near to the Cotter pub (before the Jan 2003 fire) but I don't
know how long for, I only noticed that once.

Philip

-----Original Message-----From: Jack & Andrea Holland
 Sent: Wednesday, 23 February 2011 9:17
PM
To: Canberra Birds; Elizabeth Compston  Subject: Re: [canberrabirds]
major mitchell cockatoos

Elizabeth, very interesting, who can tell.

I haven't seen the MMC which used to be seen regularly free flying with
other cockies and galahs in the Weston Creek/Woden area since 9 August
2008,
over 2.5 years ago.  That one may have originally escaped from a cage,
but
to all intents and purposes was a wild bird, having been seen over a
period
of about 5 years before that.

Jack Holland