canberrabirds

Callum Brae hobbies - today.

To: <>
Subject: Callum Brae hobbies - today.
From: "Margaret Leggoe" <>
Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2011 16:26:52 +1100

Not one, but two.  The problem for me is determining which is the juvenile and which is the adult.  I believe the bird on the right to be the same bird in both shots, and vice versa, but stand to be corrected.  The one on the right was distinctly a brighter rusty red colour than the one on the left.  Following the shot of the birds in the dead tree, the bird on the right flew off and the other remained in one place for 16 minutes, calling intermittently.  It only left after a noisy miner came and perched nearby and glared daggers at the hobby.  The shot of the birds in the leafy tree was the first shot I got, at some distance, then they moved out, circled a couple of times and conveniently landed in the dead tree.  This all took place near where the track divides close to Middle Creek.

Also, in the South-east dam,  I saw Australasian grebe (1 adult, 1 juvenile but fully grown), one dusky moorhen juvenile, one Australian reed warbler, and, circling the big farm dam across the fence, two little pied cormorants.  The reeds in the South-east dam appear to be dying.  Is the water too deep for them?

Margaret Leggoe

Aust-hobby110223_2858C.jpgAust-hobby110223_2916b.jpgAust-hobby110223_3081b.jpg