canberrabirds

Fw: March speaker

To: "canberra birds" <>
Subject: Fw: March speaker
From: "Rosie - Internode" <>
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2011 13:23:51 +1100

Greetings!

Please come along to the Field Naturalists' Association's March meeting to hear Ian Fraser  talk in celebration of our region's wildlife and the publication of his new book. It's illustrated by Peter Marsack. (No cost though we do hold an infromal raffle with tickets at $1!)  Please pass on the invitation to friends & colleagues...

                                                                                        THE FIELD NATURALISTS ASSOCIATION OF CANBERRA HOSTS
IAN FRASER
AT THEIR 3RD MARCH MEETING
7.30PM AT ANU

WE HOPE YOU HAVE HEARD BY NOW THAT IAN FRASER HAS AUTHORED A NEW BOOK ABOUT THE NATURAL HISTORY OF THE A.C.T AND REGION.

 IAN HAS LONG CHAMPIONED OUR REGION AS A TREASURE TROVE FOR NATURALISTS. HE HAS JOINED WITH CELEBRATED WILDLIFE ARTIST PETER MARSACK TO CREATE A MAGICAL BOOK WITH WONDERFUL TALES AND SCIENTIFIC SECRETS OF DOZENS OF FAVOURITE LOCAL SPECIES. PETER'S PAINTINGS BRING THE SUBJECTS TO LIFE, THOROUGHLY COMPLEMENTING AND ENHANCING IAN'S WORDS.

For Field Nats, many of the fascinating insects Kim showed us in February are in the book. For COG, FOG, ACTHA, ANPS and ANBG members over 35 birds, 20 plant species, ten reptiles and frogs are featured. Peter depicts virtually countless associations with minature, medium and larger paintings that show his naturalist's flair is as vibrant as Ian's.There are ten stories for each month of the year, ideal for our own learning or for sharing with each generation.

In the style so regularly heard on ABC's 666 Radio Ian will illustrate his passion for our own habitats and wildlife and reiterate the role we can all play in re-connecting people with the natural world around us.

Copies of A Bush Capital Year: A Natural History of the Canberra Region will be on sale if you haven't yet bought your copy. RRP $49.95.

We meet at the ANU's Building 116 in the Gould Wing off Daley Road.

All  welcome, so please come and celebrate our favourite species and habitats.
Contact Rosemary  6258 4724