canberrabirds

Superb Parrots in Turner

Subject: Superb Parrots in Turner
From: george guy <>
Date: Sat, 19 Feb 2011 17:47:01 +1100

While walking at Turner on 13/2/11, just after crossing Condamine street on the main bike track which runs past Oconnor to the city I heard the calls of two superb parrots coming from the canopy of an ironbark, Eucalyptus sideroxolon?,which was right beside the track. I had no binoculars and unfortunately had little available time to wait for a visual identification. I could only make out occasional strong movements in the heavy canopy foliage in which the birds appeared to be feeding and calling. The calls were loud and distinct and I recognised them from calls I had heard when watching them at Boorowa. On arriving back home at Oconnor I immediately played the superb parrot calls which are on my ipod copy of Michael Morcombe's  Field Guide to the Birds of Australia, which confirmed for me, my identification. George Guy