canberrabirds

Wednesday Walk to Umbagong District Park and surrounds

To: COG List <>
Subject: Wednesday Walk to Umbagong District Park and surrounds
From: martin butterfield <>
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2011 13:51:06 +1100
This will hopefully do as a submission for Gang-gang also.

25 members and guests gathered at the appointed spot off Florey Drive.  It was particularly pleasing to have some people from the local Park Care group share their knowledge of the area with us.

Very shortly after getting down to Ginninderra Creek we encountered a patch of reeds with a mixed feeding flock.  This included  Australian Reed Warblers posing nicely in view (and feeding young) and a pair of Leaden Flycatcjhers and at least one juvenile being fed.  Also in this area was the first of several flocks of adult and young Red-browed Finches, but for this species no food transfers were seen.

An Australian Hobby flew past on the other side of the Creek, giving our only raptor record for the day.  A few water-birds were seen along the Creek (Pacific Black Duck; Australian Wood Duck, White-faced Heron Little Pied Cormorant and Dusky Moorhen).

Other breeding records were Crested Pigeon (On Nest) Galah (Dependent Young) and Red Wattlebird (Dependent Young).  In total we recorded 42 species in total before the Bureau of Meteorology proved the quality of its forecasts by having the rain start pretty much on time.

(Due to the dampness we didn't get around to discussing a venue for the March Walk.  I will resolve this in discussions over the next few days - any suggestions would be welcome - perhaps somewhere Southside and not too remote?)

Martin