canberrabirds

Jerrabomberra Wetlands + changed bird demographic?

To: "'Susanne Gardiner'" <>, "'canberra birds'" <>
Subject: Jerrabomberra Wetlands + changed bird demographic?
From: "Geoffrey Dabb" <>
Date: Sun, 23 Jan 2011 11:16:11 +1100

Susanne  -  The waxing and waning of various waterbird species (a) in southern Australia (b) in the ACT area and (c) at Jerra wetlands is, I think, a pretty complicated subject.  Easiest thing is to say ‘they’ve gone inland’.  I might remind local watchers that we have recently had all 4 egret species on our doorstep  -  not something that happens every year.

The S Kingfisher family recently fledged at least 3 young  -  easily distinguishable.  These are in the shrubby plantings each year, and don’t seem to move far, but the exact nest site is something of a mystery.

SKs.jpg