canberrabirds

Birdline ACT

To: Canberrabirds <>
Subject: Birdline ACT
From: Alastair Smith <>
Date: Sat, 22 Jan 2011 18:23:42 +1100

I am pleased to announce that Birdline ACT is now operational http://www.eremaea.com/BirdlineRecentSightings.aspx?Birdline=11 .

Birdline ACT will be a site for reporting of rare or unusual birds outside their normal range, unusually high or low numbers, early or late arrivals or departures for migrant species and interesting behaviour or unusual habitat usage. It joins similar birdlines for all other Australia's states and territories.

It is certainly not just for twitchers, but as an example the channel-billed cuckoo observed at Campbell Park yesterday is worthy of inclusion as a highlight, as was two superb parrots at the same spot this morning; birds I have not encountered there previously. All sightings will be moderated and moderators will decide which are highlights and which are general sightings so everything (within reason) will go up.

I think this is complimentary and an important adjunct to Canberrabirds. The Birdline ACT site will concentrate on reporting sightings whereas canberrabirds can continue to focus on the discussion of birds in the ACT and surrounding region as well as COG matters. The sightings that are posted to Birdline ACT can be downloaded to the BA and COG databases so information is not lost in the ether as it is at present. Loss of records through these posting to Canberrabirds is something that has been problematic in the past.

I also think it will also add value to those birders who visit our region and who don't have the inclination to read through the more 'mundane' postings on canberrabirds.

Should you have any questions or concerns, please contact me.

Regards
Alastair