canberrabirds

Reminder - first field trip of 2011 this Saturday morning - spaces still

Subject: Reminder - first field trip of 2011 this Saturday morning - spaces still available
From: Suzanne Tunks <>
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2011 07:41:40 +1100
Spaces are still available for the first COG field trip of 2011.  Details are below, and I would add that bringing gaiters to protect shoes & socks from grass seeds and insect repellent for mosquitoes will enhance the experience.

Saturday 15 January 2011 — Mt Taylor Nature Reserve (morning walk)
Meet at 7am at the Colquhoun Street entrance to the Mt Taylor Nature Reserve, which is off Sulwood Drive in Kambah. This is a repeat of the outing to this location held in early September 2009. We will look to see how this important habitat for birds has responded to a year of high rainfall and experience the differences from visiting in the middle of summer compared to early spring. This part of the nature reserve contains the endangered Yellow Box-Red Gum Grassy Woodland and so we hope to see a large variety of birds. We will also ascend a short way up the slope of the mountain, where the habitat changes to include a lot of Allocasuarina verticillata – a food source for the Glossy Black-Cockatoo, which we hope to record here for the first time since 1996. Medium fitness required as terrain is sloped. Bring water, sunscreen and morning tea. To register or for further information, contact Matthew Frawley email: m("gmail.com","frawley.matthew");"> or on 6155 1358 (w), 6296 1026 (h).