canberrabirds

Rainbow Lorikeets and Callum Brae - pardalote nesting sites

To: "'Julian Robinson'" <>, <>
Subject: Rainbow Lorikeets and Callum Brae - pardalote nesting sites
From: "Philip Veerman" <>
Date: Tue, 4 Jan 2011 12:02:13 +1100
Curious, I had only known Striated Pardalotes to use tree hollows and Spotted Pardalotes to only use tunnels in the ground, plant pots, compost heaps, creek beds, etc., as nesting sites. Beruldsen's book mentions that Striated Pardalotes also nests in holes in creek banks, etc when above ground hollows are not available. That deficiency would seem odd for that site (not that I know the place well). I wonder what is going on. Maybe worth some further watch and some literature search and writing up in CBN. Is that a paradox? My spell checker tried to change Pardalotes to Paradoxes.

I am also struck by the abundance of nesting and dependant young of Aust Ravens all around the place (not that I am getting out much lately). Just as an example, the family are still in attendance at my house.

Philip

-----Original Message-----From: Julian Robinson [ Sent: Tuesday, 4 January 2011 1:01 AM
To:   Subject: [canberrabirds] Rainbow Lorikeets and Callum Brae

There were two Rainbow Lorikeets in Cullum Brae today; I think the third time reported on this forum at CBrae (Suzanne Edgar and Lindell, Sep and Nov).  These two were behaving suspiciously, in a dead tree chewing bits of tree which might have been feeding on something I couldn’t see or might have been pre-nesting behaviour.

Earlier in my “special spot” there were still signs of breeding everywhere.  A Striated Pardalote tunnel in the creek bed that was being attended by a pair some weeks ago was still being attended, but now by several birds some of whom were young while others were taking in nest lining material.  I have no idea what was actually happening in there but certainly much activity.  There were many Pardalotes around, at one stage 16 were in one bare tree.  Also breeding duskies and bred trillers, seemed to be a family or two around.  Others with young included Aus Ravens, Grey Fantails and Willie Wagtails, not to mention young foxes, rabbits and roos.  I might have mentioned before that there are now regular Diamond Firetails and Speckled Warblers in this area where I’ve not seen either before (since 2006).   And the Grebes have successfully bred one young on the far dam, first time I’ve seen young grebes on the parent’s back--  which was nice!