canberrabirds

Re: Flagged Pied Oystercatcher at Shoalhaven Heads traced

To: "Phil.Craven Wader Studies NSW" <>, "Chris Hassell Port Hedland, WA" <>, "Clive Mintons Wader Studies" <>, "COG bird discussions" <>, "Mick \(Blogger\) G" <>, "David Wader Study Trudgeon" <>, "Heather Wader Study Gibbs" <>
Subject: Re: Flagged Pied Oystercatcher at Shoalhaven Heads traced
From: "Denis Wilson" <>
Date: Mon, 3 Jan 2011 17:55:56 +1100
Thanks to all helpful suggestions from COG members on how to trace my "flagged" Pied Oystercatcher, recently sighted at Shoalhaven Heads.
  • Clive Minton has now reported that it was flagged at Corner Inlet, 26 April 2008.
He was pleased to receive my report, and I was thrilled to get his answer.
All assistance along the way, from my fellow COG birders is gratefully acknowledged.

My full report (including Clive's full answer) is now up on my blog, along with suggestions (links) for readers on my Blog, on how any such flagged birds might easily be reported.

As my blog is a general "Nature Blog" some fairly basic info is provided for non-birders (eg, on how to report the position of the flags, and which is the tarsus and tibia).

On a personal note, as I grew up in a family of Bird Banders, it is such a thrill to actually contribute to a successful "record" such as this. I think of how many thousands of Yellow-faced Honeyeaters my father Steve Wilson banded, in the hope that we would get some long-distance report. Only after years of getting "boring re-traps" in the same net, year after year, did it dawn on him that the real "gold" was there in front of his eyes - the life history data. He then spent years poring over the old records and churning out important "Life History" papers on the many passerines he had banded, most notably Brown Thornbills, and White-browed Scrubwrens. So, a 15 year old "scrubby" in the same net site for most of its life came to mean as much to him as the "heroic" records of migratory Godwits, etc.

But I am still thrilled to have played a small part in this "report" for Clive's records for the Victorian Wader Study Group.

Thanks to all concerned.