canberrabirds

new year babies

To: "'COG List'" <>
Subject: new year babies
From: "Barbara Allan" <>
Date: Sat, 1 Jan 2011 11:43:19 +1100

Well, the Page koels have done it again. The corgi and I saw and heard a begging koel youngster at the corner of Newberry Cres and Gurney Place early this morning. It wasn’t fed during the time we watched it but the surrounding avifauna consisted of Red Wattlebirds and maggies. The local Magpie-larks, whose nest was the subject of a presumed koel laying attempt some little time ago, have successfully fledged one Magpie-lark, presumably today. What a day to come into the world! On the subject of koels, I have been surprised at the behaviour of the local koel males. I have twice now seen two full adult males perched amicably within a metre of one another in a neighbour’s gum. They give voice when a female flies by but otherwise just sit quietly. b