canberrabirds

Seen but not heard club (2)

To: <>
Subject: Seen but not heard club (2)
From: "Geoffrey Dabb" <>
Date: Wed, 22 Dec 2010 16:49:05 +1100

Yes Peter (and Margaret)  -  I thought they were rather striking  myself, which I attributed to the bright early morning sun (before 7am), with quite a lot of yellow in it, before the washed-out glare of the Australian mid-summer.  This is a common visual (and photographic) effect.

Note, however:

1.       They are not ‘green’, any more than a swamphen is ‘purple’.

2.       The birds shown were all males, female is more brownish.

3.       According to European texts, males are bright ‘only in sunlight’ and brightest in the breeding season, due to plumage wear.  So the short answer to Peter’s question is ‘no’.

Below is a presumed female in shade.   G

gfinch F_.jpg