canberrabirds

Rainbow lorikeets

To: <>
Subject: Rainbow lorikeets
From: "Geoffrey Dabb" <>
Date: Tue, 21 Dec 2010 17:57:53 +1100
Yes, the Little Corella all over again.  My view:  There might be the odd
escape, such as a friendly feeder-feeder that hung around Red Hill, but this
is probably an offshoot of the expansion that makes it one of the most
common birds on the coastal strip these days.  The continuous distribution
pattern is documented in the 1984 and 2003 BA atlases.

Discussion about the Little Corella influx was enlivened by a purported
explanation by a hobbyist who claimed to have released the ancestors of all
of them in Griffith in the 70s.  We might get a similar claim here, but I
think the expansionist pattern of the lorikeets, like the Little Corellas,
is beyond doubt, whatever the origin of a particular individual.